Developing Intimacy with the Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit is God Himself because the Bible says, God is a Spirit and He is Holy. Therefore, the Holy Spirit is God. He is simply God in action. He is the Creative Power of God personified. He is the Person of the Power. See Genesis 1:2; Job 26:13; 33:4; Acts 5:3-4; Acts 10:38All God’s dealings on earth are through the Person and Power of the Holy Spirit. He is the Divine Agent on the earth who partners with us in the execution of God’s will in the earth. See John 16:13-15; 1 Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 2:18; Romans 15:14-16; Revelation 2:7; 2:11,17,29
Our relationship and fellowship with the Holy Spirit determines the Power we will be walk in. Fellowship with the Holy Spirit is the secret sauce to a successful life and ministry.
- Be born again. You cannot develop intimacy with the Holy Spirit without being born again. See John 1:12-13; 3:3-6; John 14:16-18; Romans 8:16
- Be filled with the Holy Spirit. The infilling of the Holy Spirit is priceless in the Christian experience. He empowers us to live out our convictions and be witnesses for Christ. See Mark 1:9-12; Luke 3:21-23; 4:1; Acts 1:8; 2:4; 2:38-39; Ephesians 5:18.
- Be led by the Spirit of God. The more you yield to the leadership of the Holy Spirit, the greater intimacy you will have with Him. Intimacy with the Holy Spirit is vital to your capacity to discern truth from falsehood. See Luke 4:1; Romans 8:14-16; Galatians 5:16-18 TLB;
- Fellowship with the Word by reading and meditating on the Word. As you align your thinking in line with the truth of God’s Word, you enter into a deeper state of intimacy with the Holy Spirit. Acts 10:44; Romans 8:5-8 AMPC; John 6:63; 2 Peter 1:20-21; 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- Do the Word. Doing the Word strengthens your spirit. As you do the Word, the Holy Spirit envelopes your life with His Presence. John 14:21-23: Acts 7:51-53; James 1:22-25; Matthew 7:24-27;
- Obey the leadings and promptings of the Spirit. Obedience endears you to God. Isaiah 1:19; 48:15-18.
- Walk in love. As you learn to walk in love and choose to forgive quickly and habitually, you will experience a greater flow and intimacy with the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 4:29-32; Philippians 2:1-4; Galatians 5:22-23; 1 John 4:16; 1 John 2:9-11; 1 Corinthians 12:31; 14:1.
- Fasting and Prayers: When we fast, we empower our spirits and bring our bodies in subjection to the spirit. Fasting is separation from foods and natural pleasures for the purpose of intense spiritual devotions. Fasting is renouncing the natural to invoke the supernatural. Acts 13:1-4; Luke 4:1,14; Mark 2:18-22
- Generosity. Generosity endears you to God. As you practice a life of sincere generosity, you become a vessel through God can flow. Barnabas was an example of this. Luke 16:9-12; Acts 4:32-37; 11:22-24. Giving sacrificially is a physical demonstration of your complete faith, confidence and reliance upon God for your sustenance. It opens you up to God. See Genesis 22:1-18; Genesis 46:1-4: 1 Kings 3:1-15
- Praise and Worship: Praise and Worship is vital to a healthy relationship and fellowship with the Holy Spirit. It woos God to enter into our world. When we pray we enter into God’s Presence, when we pray, He enters ours. Psalm 22:3; 95:6-8. Praise and Worship conditions the human heart to hear God. It tenderizes the heart. Acts 13:1-4; 16:25-26