Who We Are, Why We Are and What We do
Psalm 82:5; Ephesians 5:15-17; Colossians 1:9-11; Philippians 1:9-11
Purpose is the reason for a thing. It is the original purpose for which a thing is created or made.
Your purpose is your why. It has been said that the man who knows how will always have a job but the man who knows why will always be his boss.
You cannot fully enjoy divine provision until you first of all discover and align with Divine Purpose. Purpose is the key to unlocking Divine Power and unleashing your potential. See Ephesians 1:15-19
What is the Church?
The Word “Church” is from the Greek Word, “EKKlesia” it refers to a calling out, a popular meeting, an assembly or a church. It also refers to a religious congregation. The Church is the called out ones assembled or the assembly of the called out ones.
There are several expressions of the Word Church:
- The Global Church. This refers to everyone who has made Jesus Christ their Lord. It refers to the entire Body of believers the world over. See 1 Corinthians 1:2; Acts 2:21; 1 Peter 5:9.
- The Local Church: This refers to a Body of Christ in a particular locality. See 1 Corinthians 1:2; 2 Corinthians 1:1; 1 Thessalonians 1:1; 2 Thessalonians 1:1; Galatians 1:2; Colossians 4:16
- The House Church. This refers to the Body of believers who meet in a home setting. See Acts 2:46; 5:42; 20:20-21; Acts 8:3; Romans 16:3-5; 1 Corinthians 16:19; Colossians 4:15 (Women can lead house churches. 2 John 1:1,13; 1 Peter 5:13)
What is the Church?
Identity is one of the keys to fulfilling destiny. Identity is also one of the keys to unlocking your authority. Identity is also the key to enjoying your rights and privileges, that is, your inheritance. Identity is the key to security. Until you know who you really are, you will be insecure.
It is important to note that the Church is first of an organism before it is on organization. It is the living, breathing, pulsating temple of the Living God.
- The Church is the Body of Christ. That is we are members of His Body. Whatever flows in Him, flows in us. See 1 Corinthians 6:15-17; 12:12-14,27; Romans 12:4-5; Ephesians 1:22-23; 4:4,15-16; Colossians 1:18,24; 2:9-10; 2:19
- The Church is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. See 1 Corinthians 3:16-17; 6:19-20. We are the temple of the Holy Spirit. He dwells in us. His Person, His Presence and His Power is available to us because He lives in us. The Holy Ghost is in you 24/7. See Ephesians 2:21-22
- The Church refers to the family of God. You cannot be a member of the Church until you are born again. That is, you have received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Personal Savior. The Church is an assembly of God’s children. See Hebrews 12:22-24; John 20:17; Ephesians 2:19-20; Matthew 6:9; Galatians 3:26; Ephesians 3:14-15. You cannot be a part of the Church unless you have been reborn.
- The Church refers to the body of believers both Jew and Gentiles, male and female who believe in Jesus Christ as the only means of salvation. See Matthew 16:13-19; 1 Corinthians 10:4; Acts 2:41,47; 4:4,12; 11:15-18; 15:14; Galatians 3:26-29; Ephesians 2:11-19
- The Church refers to the citizens of heaven who are living on earth. See Ephesians 2:19; Philippians 3:20 NIV; Colossians 3:1-4
- The Church refers to the Saints of God: Saints is from the Word hagios which means holy ones, sacred, pure, consecrated. We are separated unto God and called to live a holy life. See 1 Corinthians 1:2; Romans 1:7; Ephesians 1:1; 4:1,13; Philippians 1:1; Colossians 1:1; 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1; 2 Peter 2:17-22
- The Church refers to the Bride of Christ. We are the Bride of Christ. See Hosea 2:19-20; Isaiah 54:5; Jeremiah 3:14; Ephesians 5:22-33; 2 Corinthians 11:2-3; Revelation 19:7-9; 21:9
- The Church is the Army of God. We are the army of the Lord on the earth advancing the purposes and the interests of the kingdom of God in the earth. See Acts 7:37-38; Exodus 6:26; 7:4; 12:17; 12:51; 13:18 MSG; Numbers 13:1; Matthew 16:18-19; 16:13-19; Matthew 16:18-19 AMPC, GNT, NASB, MSG. We are God’s Law Enforcement Agents. God has delegated authority to the Church on earth. See Matthew 28:18-20; Luke 10:17-19; Matthew 23:1-3; Acts 25:6,10,17. We are seated with Christ in the heavenly places. See Ephesians 2:19-23; 2:4-7; Revelation 3:21. We are an army defending and protecting the interests of the kingdom of God in the earth. See 1 Corinthians 9:7; 1 Timothy 1:18; 2 Timothy 2:3-4 NASB; Ephesians 6:10-19
- The Church is a Assembly of Kings and Priests. As Kings we defend and advance the purposes of the kingdom. As Priests we intercede for the people and we teach them God’s Word. As kings we have authority. As Priests we have intimacy with God. See Revelation 1:5-6; 5:9-10; Matthew 16:18-19; 18:18-20; Luke 10:17-20; 1 Peter 2:5,9; Isaiah 61:6
- The Church is God’s Building, I mean, a Spiritual House. We the people are God’s Building. He is building our lives into a spiritual habitation for His Spirit. See 1 Corinthians 3:9; Ephesians 2:21-22; 4:15-16; Colossians 2:7; 1 Peter 2:5
- The Church is God’s field, His garden or His vineyard. Individually we are trees; Together we are His field or His garden. See Psalm 1:1-3; 80:15; 92:12-14; Isaiah 53:2; 60:21; 61:3; 1 Corinthians 3:9; John 15:1-6; 2 Timothy 2:6
- The Church is the assembly of His prized possessions, the redeemed, those He bought with His own blood. See Acts 20:28; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 7:23; Colossians 1:12-14; 1 Peter 1:18-19; 3:4; Revelation 5:9
- The Church refers to those who are spiritually circumcised, that is, the circumcision of the heart. It is the assembly of the changed ones, those who have a new heart and a new spirit. See Ezekiel 36:25-27; Ezekiel 11:19; Jeremiah 32:39-40; Romans 2:28-29; Galatians 6:15-16; 5:6. The Church is the assembly of the New Creation.
- The Church refers to those who have a covenant with God through the Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. Their sins have been remitted, washed away and they are in covenant union with deity. See Matthew 26:26-28; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26; Ephesians 2:11-16; Hebrews 7:22; 8:6; 9:11-22; 10:19-22; 1 Corinthians 6:17; John 17:22-23; Hebrews 8:10-12; 10:16-18
- The Church is a new race. We are chosen race, a new breed of people who have union with deity. See Exodus 19:5-6; Deuteronomy 7:6; 14:2; Deuteronomy 26:18-19; 1 Peter 2:9 AMPC; Revelation 1:6 AMPC; 5:10 AMPC; Deuteronomy 10:15; Isaiah 43:20
- The Church is a sheepfold. We are the Lord’s sheep, His sheepfold or His flock. He is our Shepherd and the Bishop of our souls. See Numbers 27:15-17; Acts 7:37-38; Psalm 23:1-6; 100:3; Matthew 9:35-36; Luke 12:32; John 1:1-16; Ezekiel 34:31; 34:1-31; 37:24; John 21:15-17; Acts 20:28-30; 1 Peter 2:25: 5:1-4; Hebrews 13:20-21