The Primary Purposes of the Church
Understanding Who We Are, Why We Are and What We do
Psalm 82:5; Ephesians 5:15-17; Colossians 1:9-11; Philippians 1:9-11
Purpose is the reason for a thing. It is the original purpose for which a thing is created or made.
Your purpose is your why. It has been said that the man who knows how will always have a job but the man who knows why will always be his boss.
You cannot fully enjoy divine provision until you first of all discover and align with Divine Purpose. Purpose is the key to unlocking Divine Power and unleashing your potential. See Ephesians 1:15-19
What is the Church?
The Word “Church” is from the Greek Word, “EKKlesia” it refers to a calling out, a popular meeting, an assembly or a church. It also refers to a religious congregation. The Church is the called out ones assembled or the assembly of the called out ones.
There are several expressions of the Word Church:
- The Global Church. This refers to everyone who has made Jesus Christ their Lord. It refers to the entire Body of believers the world over. See 1 Corinthians 1:2; Acts 2:21; 1 Peter 5:9.
- The Local Church: This refers to a Body of Christ in a particular locality. See 1 Corinthians 1:2; 2 Corinthians 1:1; 1 Thessalonians 1:1; 2 Thessalonians 1:1; Galatians 1:2; Colossians 4:16
- The House Church. This refers to the Body of believers who meet in a home setting. See Acts 2:46; 5:42; 20:20-21; Acts 8:3; Romans 16:3-5; 1 Corinthians 16:19; Colossians 4:15 (Women can lead house churches. 2 John 1:1,13; 1 Peter 5:13)
What is the Church?
Identity is one of the keys to fulfilling destiny. Identity is also one of the keys to unlocking your authority. Identity is also the key to enjoying your rights and privileges, that is, your inheritance. Identity is the key to security. Until you know who you really are, you will be insecure.
It is important to note that the Church is first of an organism before it is on organization. It is the living, breathing, pulsating temple of the Living God.
- The Church is the Body of Christ. That is we are members of His Body. Whatever flows in Him, flows in us. See 1 Corinthians 6:15-17; 12:12-14,27; Romans 12:4-5; Ephesians 1:22-23; 4:4,15-16; Colossians 1:18,24; 2:9-10; 2:19
- The Church is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. See 1 Corinthians 3:16-17; 6:19-20. We are the temple of the Holy Spirit. He dwells in us. His Person, His Presence and His Power is available to us because He lives in us. The Holy Ghost is in you 24/7. See Ephesians 2:21-22
- The Church refers to the family of God. You cannot be a member of the Church until you are born again. That is, you have received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Personal Savior. The Church is an assembly of God’s children. See Hebrews 12:22-24; John 20:17; Ephesians 2:19-20; Matthew 6:9; Galatians 3:26; Ephesians 3:14-15. You cannot be a part of the Church unless you have been reborn.
- The Church refers to the body of believers both Jew and Gentiles, male and female who believe in Jesus Christ as the only means of salvation. See Matthew 16:13-19; 1 Corinthians 10:4; Acts 2:41,47; 4:4,12; 11:15-18; 15:14; Galatians 3:26-29; Ephesians 2:11-19